Welcome to Cardinal Gibbons High School
Thank you for visiting the online home for Cardinal Gibbons High School.
This website was created to provide an online venue that serves the needs of our students, parents, faculty, staff and alumni, in addition to all those who are interested in learning more about our school.
We believe this website truly reflects the spirit that makes Cardinal Gibbons High School such a special place and we invite you to see for yourself.
Please enjoy your time on our online home. If you cannot find something you need, please Contact Us and we will be happy to assist you.
about Cardinal Gibbons High School
Cardinal Gibbons High School is a college preparatory, co-educational high school of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Raleigh. We embrace the mission of Jesus Christ: to form men and women of faith, service, and leadership in church and community.
Please see the School Profile for more detailed information.
- Founded 1909
- 1478 students
- Jason D. Curtis, Principal
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Member of the National Catholic Educational Association and the North Carolina Association of Independent Schools
- Most of our faculty members possess at least a master's degree.
- Graduates enjoy 100 percent acceptance to some of the country’s finest colleges, universities and military academies.
- More than 150 academic courses, including college preparatory, over honors and AP classes.
- An award-winning Fine Arts program, featuring more than 40 different classes and involving over 900 students.
- Member of the PAC 6 conference in the NCHSAA 4A classification.
- Over 40 sports teams as well as a state-of-the-art physical fitness center, a new athletic stadium with increased home seating for 2,000 people and a new visitors’ section for 1,000 visitors, and a newly installed AstroTurf Game Day Grass field.
- Over 900 students participate in school-sponsored athletics.
- Over 50 different clubs and activities, including Student Council, newspaper, yearbook, surf club, and Science Olympiad.
- Several dances are held annually, including a formal prom.
- Trips to Italy and France are offered.
- Students have the opportunity to display their talent at coffee house nights and talent shows.
- Daily Mass is available to students and staff.
Frequently Asked Questions
about Cardinal Gibbons High School
Must students be Catholic to attend Cardinal Gibbons High School?
While the majority of our students are Catholic, we welcome students from all faith traditions.
Do you offer financial aid?
Cardinal Gibbons has made a commitment to provide a quality education to qualified students from diverse backgrounds and varied incomes, regardless of financial means. Each year, Cardinal Gibbons High School provides need-based financial aid to families with demonstrated need.
How would you describe Cardinal Gibbons High School?
As a school with over 100 years of providing Catholic education in Raleigh, we have a strong tradition of excellence on campus and within the community.
Our students are tremendously involved in every aspect of the life of our school: the academics, spiritual, and extra-curricular programs that offer so many opportunities to grow in faith, service, and leadership.
Every member of the community is encouraged to take an active role in building our community, and we see through the remarkable growth of so many wonderful programs on campus that students, staff, and families indeed feel that Cardinal Gibbons High School provides a unique opportunity to fully participate in the formation of men and women of faith, service, and leadership.
What distinguishes Cardinal Gibbons High School from other private schools in the area?
The Spiritual Life program at Cardinal Gibbons High School sets us apart and opportunities for enrichment continue to grow with more retreat and service offerings each year.
Every student participates in a school service project off-campus at least once each year with faculty and staff, giving over 20,000 hours of service annually. Our community supports countless local and national charities year-round. Our retreats, including the annual Principal's Leadership Conference, provide students opportunities to reflect and grow as individuals and to build our community.
We offer a diverse academic curriculum as well as award-winning fine arts and athletics programs. The vast majority of our students are involved after school in athletics and the arts and our graduates are accepted to some of the country’s finest colleges and universities.
Why do/should families consider private education over public education?
In the case of Cardinal Gibbons High School, our parents first cite the fact that we provide a Catholic education.
Families value the partnership that we have with them in the formation of their children, and find that our school’s integration of faith, academics, leadership and service closely parallels their own experience and goals in raising their children.
Additionally, we are fortunate to have many parents who are graduates of Cardinal Gibbons High School, and they have a very real commitment to Catholic education in the Diocese of Raleigh and to Gibbons in particular.
What advantages do students gain in attending a private school?
Our emphasis on the integration of faith, academics, leadership, and service gives our students and faculty the opportunity to interact in many settings outside of the classroom.
These shared experiences on retreats, in prayer and service, in extra-curricular activities and events in the larger community give teachers the opportunity to know their students more fully, and to place classroom experiences firmly in the context of students’ lives.
We say that our mission finds its home in the hearts and minds of our students, faculty and families, and so the essence of our school can only truly be felt by visiting Cardinal Gibbons High School. It is also a chance to see the spirit of community, of caring for others, that is part of the Cardinal Gibbons experience from the moment you step on campus.