Curzan, Shepard Named 2022 Athlete of the Year
Seniors Claire Curzan (Swimming) and Donovan Shepard (Football) were named Athlete of the Year during a ceremony Wednesday evening to honor the finalists for their achievements.
This season, Curzan broke five national high school records, six individual school records, and the American record in the 100-yard fly during the state championship meet.
Curzan is attending Stanford University this fall.
During the football season, Donovan Shepard broke both the North Carolina High School Athletic Association’s single-game and the school’s single-season rushing records. He was named Conference Player of the Year and took home All-State honors. =
Shepard is attending Stetson University in the fall.
During the ceremony, coaches were also honored for their years of service to the Gibbons athletic programs and mentorship to the many student-athletes they have guided over the years.
Athlete of the Year Finalists
- Claire Curzan ’22, Swimming
- T’lay Foulkes ’22, Cheer
- Rhian Lawrence ’23, Basketball & Soccer
- Taylor McKinnon ’22, Track & Field
- Ella Perna ’22, Golf
- David Greeley ‘22, Swimming
- Brendan Peeples ‘22, Soccer
- Donovan Shepard ‘22, Baseball & Football
- Maverick Shotwell ‘22, Football & Track & Field
- Tyler Tracy ‘2, Wrestling
Coaches Honored for Years of Service
- Jim Liebler, Baseball
- Jenny Marks, Cheer
- David Mills, L.A.T.
- Chris Poisella, Baseball/Softball
- Mike Curatolo, Lacrosse
- Robert Guzzo, Men’s Golf
- Tim Healy, Men’s Soccer
- Jonah Turner, Swimming & Diving
- Logan Barber, Volleyball
- Bill Liedy, Football
- Jess Lowe, Women’s Basketball
- Nick Mangum, XC | Track & Field
- Pete Sinopoli, Baseball
- Andrew Tuttle, Tennis
- Steven Wright, Football