- Need-Based Financial Aid is awarded based on information from the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and, at some institutions, the CSS Profile.
- The FAFSA opens on October 1 each year and uses prior-prior year tax information.
- Get free help from professionals at FAFSA Day in October.
- Every college is required by law to have a Net Price Calculator on their website, which estimates a family’s Expected Family Contribution, specific to that institution.
- College Savings Plan contributions are considered as part of a family’s EFC.
- Merit Scholarships vary based on institutional funds and priorities. While some universities consider every student for scholarships, other require additional information through a separate application process. A college’s website is the best place to find this information.
- External/Community Scholarships are not tied to a specific university and can be used to pay for expenses wherever a student chooses to enroll. Searchable scholarship databases include:
Raise.me - microscholarships