On Wednesday, February 3, Head of School Jeff Bell did a final Zoom in a series of Conversations with Cardinal Gibbons Alumni. Jeff shared his vision for Gibbons and answered alumni questions in this 45-minute exchange. "From the moment he first visited Gibbons during the interview process, he knew it was where he wanted to be," shared Jeff with the alumni participants. The energy, the history, the mission, and most importantly, the people made Gibbons feel like no other school he has been a part of in his 18-year career.
His vision was three-fold:
- The first and most important is our Catholic identity and showcasing what a Catholic faith-based community can accomplish.
- Next comes Academics, raising the profile of Gibbons as an academic powerhouse while applying the lessons learned during COVID to propel us forward.
- And finally, launching a strategic plan with a vision of moving Gibbons from where it is now, a fantastic school, and taking it to another level.
In summary, Jeff commented that “Gibbons is a 111-year-old school; what do we put in place, so the school thrives for the next one hundred years?”
Missed the Zoom but would like to ask Jeff a question? You can email him directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out to Director of Alumni Advancement Susan Leigh '87 at email@example.com. We can't wait to hear from you!
Willing to share your professional expertise with current students? Able to host visiting students at your company or office? Please let us know so we can invite you to campus.
ALUMNI DAY OF SERVICE
On Saturday, March 7, Gibbons Alumni and their friends and families gathered at a Wake County Habitat for Humanity build site for the third annual Alumni Day of Service.
Engage With Us... The Gibbons Alumni Experience!
We are approaching the one year anniversary of when most of the world went into quarantine. I never dreamed it would last longer than a year but I feel there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
While COVID-19 forced us to end many of the in-person activities we were doing, it certainly didn't curtail the relationship we have with each other and Cardinal Gibbons. Let me share a few things that have happened since March 13, 2020 that make me passionate about Gibbons and proud about the members of our alumni community.
- April 8: Gibbons Mask Force launches and alumni join educators, students, and parents in making masks for first responders
- Throughout April and May, Gibbons Alumni helped distribute food boxes at Wake County public schools to families in need
- May 13: Gibbons Alumni were featured speakers in a Digital Career Expo
- June 12-13: Gibbons Alumni participated in 10 different Zoom sessions for Virtual Alumni Weekend
- June 15: Gibbons Alumni shared tributes to classmates serving on the front lines of COVID-19. So many salutes were shared online the Crusader COVID-19 Heroes shout out lasted a week!
- July: Alumni gathered with educators and administrators to have conversations about race relations on campus, leading to significant change in the student handbook, educator training, and on-campus co-curricular opportunities.
- September 17: Gibbons Alumni joined with current students during Homecoming @ Home with special Zooms around Green Army, Football, Cheer, and Dance Team.
- September 5: Alumni supported the Crusader Classic Golf Tournament as players and sponsors
- September 11: Alumni send notes of gratitude to on-campus Raleigh Police Department Officers and students send notes of gratitude to alumni first-responders
- November 11: Students send notes of gratitude to Alumni who are active duty and retired military
- December 14: Alumni Service at The Shepherd's Table Soup Kitchen
- December 18: Class of 2020 Community Day
- January 14: Gibbons Leadership Conference Alumni focus group
- January 25-27 and February 1-3: Conversations with Jeff Bell alumni zoom
- February: Alumni Celebrations during Black History Month on social media with a special student Zoom featuring alumni speakers from '62-'66.
In total, xx alumni participated as speakers and mentors for current students. xx alumni joined a Zoom event for Virtual Alumni Weekend, Homecoming @ Home, A Conversation with Jeff Bell, or Black History Month. xx alumni participated in a service opportunity. xx alumni wrote or received notes of gratitude. xx alumni were featured in social media as we celebrated Crusader COVID-19 Heroes and our incredible Black alumni.
If we can bring that many alumni together during a global pandemic imagine what we can do in the coming year!
I invite you to engage with us!
Susan Leigh '87
Associate Director of Alumni Advancement
919-834-1625 x 278