National Honor Society
- Who is eligible?
- Important Dates
- Documents for Applicants
- Recommendation Link for Educators
- Induction Ceremony
- Important Information for Inductees
- NHS Service Information
- Spring Application is in Early March: Eligible students will be notified via email about the Interest Meeting on March 11th at 2:20pm in the Theater. Applications are due March 19th 2019 at 3:15pm to Ms. Edrington in College Counseling. Late Applications will not be accepted.
- Fall Application is late August. Students will be notified via email. Applications for Fall Applicants are due by 12:30 on August 23rd.
(You must be logged into Google with your CGHS account to access the form.)
Please submit all recommendations by August 26th. Thank you!
Sunday, September 29, 2019
Fr. Price Gymnasium
The Induction Ceremony for new NHS members will be held in the Fall of 2019. This is a prestigious event, and attendance is required for all new members. Parents and families are also cordially invited to attend. Important Information for Inductees is linked below.
1. There is a mandatory practice for all new members, on September 25th at 2:20pm. We will be finished by 3:15. (Returning Seniors volunteering at the ceremony do NOT NEED to attend the practice.)
2. Members being inducted should plan to arrive at school by 2:30pm on the day of the ceremony. Report to the Main Lobby (outside the theater) to line up for the procession.
3. This is a prestigious, conservative event, and your attire should reflect that. Ladies should wear a skirt/dress or dressy pants, and gentlemen should wear a conservative suit or sportcoat and a tie, slacks, and dress shoes.
What are the service requirements?
You are required to complete 20 service credits during the academic school year. At least 12 of these credits must come from NHS sponsored events.
I completed service over the summer, does that count?
No. Service must be completed during the academic year.
How do I keep track of my service credits?
We are using x2VOL to track all hours, get the hours approved, and use for sign ups for service opportunities. If you do not have an account please see Ms. Edrington.
What happens if I don’t complete my 20 service credits by the assigned date?
Failure to complete the required service credits will result in removal from the National Honor Society. No warnings will be given. It is your responsibility to keep up with your service.
What constitutes “outside service”?
Since these are service hours, you cannot be compensated for any task listed on this sheet, nor should you include any activities that are required for a class or another club/organization.
Going on your class service trip does NOT count towards NHS service credits.
Please use this link to x2VOL to log service hours and sign up for service opportunities.
The National Honor Society is an organization that promotes appropriate recognition for juniors and seniors who reflect outstanding accomplishments in the areas of scholarship, character, leadership, and service. All members are expected to attend monthly meetings and to make contributions to the Cardinal Gibbons chapter by participating in chapter service activities.
Selection of students for membership is the responsibility of the Cardinal Gibbons High School NHS Educator council appointed by the Principal. Students who are eligible to apply will be contacted via their school email address in February.