Cardinal Gibbons High School is a college preparatory school of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Raleigh. We embrace the mission of Jesus Christ: to form men and women of faith, service, and leadership in church and community.
Philosophy and Goals
Cardinal Gibbons is a co-educational high school in the Diocese of Raleigh that shares the Good News through quality Roman Catholic education. Under the guidance and leadership of lay and religious educators and administration, Cardinal Gibbons seeks to prepare young men and women to live out Gospel-based values. We believe that quality education calls us to integrate Gospel teaching and values with real life. We seek to foster these values with emphasis on Roman Catholic identity and the teachings of Jesus Christ. We recognize that parents are the primary educators and work closely with them in both school and parish. Cardinal Gibbons welcomes families of all faiths, ethnic origins, and economic levels.
To make this philosophy a reality, the Cardinal Gibbons community of educators, administrators, and parents accept the challenge and responsibility to:
- Cultivate the spiritual values of our Roman Catholic faith and heritage.
- Encourage spiritual growth by instruction in and experiencing of the Church’s teachings and sacramental life.
- Instill a moral foundation centered in the teachings of Jesus Christ.
- Foster recognition of the goodness of God’s presence and will in our daily life.
- Nourish the community of faith among parents, educators, and students by prayer and worship within the total life of the school and parish.
- Teach all secular subjects in the light of Gospel values.
- Encourage critical and creative thinking to stimulate intellectual growth.
- Enable students to reach their individual potential and to think clearly, to form strong convictions, and to act in their beliefs for the betterment of their own lives, their church, and society as a whole.
- Promote a spirit of appreciation for academic excellence emphasizing a college preparatory curriculum.
- Teach the knowledge and skills that promote physical and mental well-being.
- Raise awareness of and respect for the natural order and beauty of creation.
- Foster an appreciation of individual worth coupled with a respect for the rights and dignity of all other persons in a pluralistic and multicultural society.
- Provide an opportunity to develop the potential for leadership in a complex, changing society.
- Encourage acceptance of the right and responsibility to achieve one’s full potential.
In this way, it is our goal that the Cardinal Gibbons graduate will be formed as a whole person who has integrated his or her spiritual, intellectual, physical, emotional, and social dimensions according to the teachings of Jesus Christ.
Cardinal Gibbons High School does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, or national origin in the administration of its academic and admissions policies, scholarship, and financial aid programs, and other school-administered services.